National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics
Improved health and well-being of the population of the U.S. and its territories through advances in national health information and data policy.
Assist and advise the Secretary of HHS and Congress by convening stakeholders to identify and frame essential health information/data policy concerns and needs. The scope of the Committee’s charter includes national health information policy, health data, vital and health statistics, standards, privacy, security, and strategies to address these areas. The Committee’s recommendations shall also inform decision-making about health information/data policy relevant to states, local organizations and agencies, and the private sector.
Strategic Goal 1:
Improve data usability and analytic capabilities to sustain continuous improvement in health and well-being for all.
- Objective 1.1: Assess capacity to use data to improve health and well-being.
- Objective 1.2: Identify opportunities to improve data collection, use and analysis to accelerate improvement in health and well-being.
- Objective 1.3: Recommend actions to HHS, other federal agencies, Congress, and other stakeholders.
Strategic Goal 2:
Accelerate the adoption of standards to achieve the purposes of safety, effectiveness, efficiency, privacy, security and interoperability of health data and systems.
- Objective 2.1: Assess the adoption and implementation of standards to achieve safety, health system effectiveness, operating efficiency, information security, and protection of privacy and confidentiality.
- Objective 2.2: Identify opportunities to improve alignment of standards development, regulations and industry adoption and implementation.
- Objective 2.3: Recommend actions to HHS, other federal agencies, Congress, and other stakeholders.
Strategic Goal 3:
Expand appropriate access and use of data while ensuring relevant safeguards.
- Objective 3.1: Engage relevant stakeholders to assess current capabilities, identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Objective 3.2: Identify strategies to improve access and use of federal data resources.
- Objective 3.3: Recommend actions to HHS, other federal agencies, Congress, and other stakeholders.
Strategic Goal 4:
Improve health information and data policy by taking the long view.
- Objective 4.1: Identify and assess emerging trends in population health, health care, business processes, technology, interoperability, data management, statistics, ethics, stewardship and norms.
- Objective 4.2: Identify and define opportunities and threats from emerging trends that will enable or require change to health information and data policies, standards, or regulatory frameworks.
- Objective 4.3: Formulate agile, flexible and converging recommendations and long-term strategies to improve health and information and data policy.
NCVHS Project Selection Criteria
NCVHS developed the following guidelines for Committee deliberations on the prioritization of NCVHS work:
- Be consistent with NCVHS’ mission and be appropriately scaled;
- Be complementary and aligned with one another to advance the goals and objectives in NCVHS’ Strategic Plan;
- Result in information or recommendations that are actionable by the HHS Secretary in partnership with state and local organizations and agencies when appropriate, or actionable by the private sector;
- Fulfill mandated requirements; and
- Take into account urgency and resources available to ensure project completion.