National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics

Executive Subcommittee Conference Call

April 19, 2005

Final Summary

A conference call was scheduled for April 18th from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. to discuss: 1) NCVHS Membership, 2) Topics for June 9th Executive Subcommittee Meeting, 3) Agenda and Presentations for June 29-30 Full Committee Meeting, and 4) Executive Subcommittee Retreat August 15-16 and Executive Strategy Issues.


  • Jeffrey Blair
  • Simon Cohn, M.D., M.P.H.
  • Robert Hungate
  • Donald Steinwachs, Ph.D.


  • Harry Reynolds
  • Mark Rothstein, J.D.

Staff and Liaisons:

  • Marjorie Greenberg, Executive Secretary
  • Jim Scanlon, Executive Staff Director
  • Maya Bernstein, J.D., ASPE
  • Audrey Burwell, OMH
  • Virginia Cain, Ph.D., Liaison, NIH
  • Michael Fitzmaurice, Ph.D., Liaison, AHRQ
  • Kathleen Fyffe, ASPE
  • Debbie Jackson, NCHS
  • Katherine Jones, NCHS
  • Anna Poker, AHRQ
  • Steve Steindel, Ph.D., Liaison, CDC
  • Marietta Squire, NCHS
  • Karen Trudel, Liaison, CMS


  • Maria Friedman, D.B.A., CMS
  • Aldona Robbins, Ph.D., Liaison, BSC
  • Ed Sondik, Ph.D., Liaison, NCHS

Simon Cohn opened the discussion at 1:10 p.m. with introductions and brief remarks. The focus of meeting today is primarily to plan the June full NCVHS meeting. We will plan for the Executive Subcommittee meetings in June and August and consider a site location for the August retreat in California. Time permitting, we will also review workplans and workgroup/subcommittee goals and where everyone is in that process.

1) Remaining NCVHS Vacancy

Jim Scanlon has informed HHS leadership that there is a vacancy on the NCVHS since Peggy Handrich resigned. Mike O’Grady has indicated that if we have any recommendations, please let him know. Jim would like to find someone from the public health community. Kathleen Fyffe indicated that one area that needs attention is consumer representation. Mike Fitzmaurice recommended that we consider Bob Davis who has retired from the NYC Department of Health. He was in charge of their hospital discharge surveys and also continues to be very active in standards development organizations. Bob is very well qualified, but we may need someone with more of a population health background, preferably a woman or minority. Karen Trudel will follow-up with Judy Berek who was going to provide some referrals/recommendations on individuals with public health and/or Medicaid background. Jim will follow-up on Steve Steindel’s recommendation to nominate Helene Gayle, former CDC Director of the HIV/AIDS Program. Jeff Blair also suggested that we need a consumer representative. Mary Jo Deering suggested Linda Golodner, head of the National Consumers League that responded to the ONCHIT RFI. Jim will also accept recommendations via E-mail from the Committee for other candidates worth considering.

2) NCVHS Full Committee Meeting – June 29-30, 2005

2001-2002 Report

Susan Kanaan has had several discussions with members. Her current plan is to send Marjorie Greenberg a rough draft on May 1st for review. Susan will revise and submit a draft for distribution to the Executive Subcommittee on May 24th. All comments should be received by Susan before the June 9th Executive Subcommittee Meeting. The revised document will go to the full Committee on June 20th. Susan will be at the June 2-3 Quality Workgroup Meeting, but she will not be at the June 9th Executive Subcommittee Meeting. We expect to achieve approval of the report at the full Committee Meeting.

Populations Report

Don Steinwachs indicated that they have solicited feedback from the subcommittee members on the draft recommendations circulated several weeks ago. There is a conference call scheduled for April 21st that will allow members to review the recommended changes from all subcommittee members. The goal of the May 13th meeting of the Subcommittee will be primarily to work through the report making sure final editing will be done for distribution to the Executive Subcommittee by May 16th. Don will confirm the time schedule after this Thursday’s subcommittee call. Simon and Marjorie agreed that they would like to bring this to closure by the June meeting.

Letter from Standards and Security Subcommittee – Jeff Blair indicated that there are no letters expected for approval at the June meeting. Simon announced that there will be an NPRM on e-Prescribing out in October, 2005 providing guidance on remaining outstanding standards.

No other action items are expected to come forth at the June meeting.


ANSI/HISB and ISO US TAG will be given some time to talk about their efforts to coordinate standards activities nationally and internationally. Their request was to participate in a panel presentation with the NCVHS to discuss how they might coordinate more closely with the Committee. Their view is that it’s appropriate to provide a report to the NCVHS each year just as the DSMOs provide. We will be working closely with them in preparing the presentation. They understand that the Subcommittee on Standards and Security may address the issue of standards coordination more broadly at its July 26-27, 2005 meeting.

AHRQ Report on Quality and Disparities – We will hear the results of the most recent reports and expect that the presentation will take about 45 minutes to an hour. Anna Poker will work with Debbie Jackson to confirm presenters.

HIPAA Report – Jim indicated that a rough draft will be presented for review by the Privacy and Standards and Security Subcommittees at the June meeting. Both subcommittees will plan to review the report during their break-out sessions. We hope to have the report for action at the September meeting.

Status of RFI Responses – Kathleen will double check with David Brailer to see if we can schedule an update from ONCHIT. We will schedule an hour or so for the presentation.

Certifying Commission on Health Information Technology (CCHIT) – Kathleen will also make some contacts to see who will be able to make this presentation.

Federal Healthcare Architecture (FHA) – Simon will be meeting with them on April 20. He will discuss what the NCVHS role will be and their expectations of us. Kathleen will check with Lee Jones on his availability to make a presentation.

NHII and Public Health – Dan Friedman’s presentation will be very relevant and timely for the June meeting. We have already informed Dan that we expect to have him present at the June meeting, but we will confirm the arrangements.

Break-out Sessions

On the first day, NHII will forego their usual one hour meeting. The Standards and Security and Populations Subcommittees can meet from 4-6 p.m. on the first day, (the full Committee will run until around 4:00 p.m.). The Quality Workgroup can meet briefly (if at all) on the second day; Bob Hungate does not anticipate a need for a meeting as the Quality Workgroup is already scheduled to meet June 2-3. The Privacy Subcommittee will schedule a meeting from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. on the second morning. The Full Committee will reconvene at 9:00 a.m. on the second day.

Marjorie asked members and staff to E-mail Debbie Jackson any suggestions for the group dinner/social scheduled for June 29th.

3) Topics for Future NCVHS Meetings

The NCHS Re-engineering of Death Registration System/Classifications presentation will move to the September Full Committee agenda.

4) Executive Subcommittee Meetings

June 9, 2005 – Executive Subcommittee will convene for dinner on the evening of June 8th. We will start the meeting at 8:00 a.m. on June 9th and go until around 2:00 p.m. (Mark Rothstein will need to leave around 12:00 noon). We will discuss the executive strategy issues during the June meeting. The meeting will not be broadcast, but will be transcribed.

August 15-16 – Executive Subcommittee will meet all day Monday and half a day on Tuesday. We will plan a dinner for Monday night. NHII and the Privacy Subcommittee can meet the afternoon of 8/16 and the remaining days. Simon will call Mark to discuss plans for the Privacy Subcommittee meeting. The plan is to adjourn all meetings by Thursday afternoon. All meetings are scheduled to take place in San Francisco.

Call adjourned at 3:02 p.m.