The Subcommittee on Privacy, Confidentiality and Security monitors major developments with regard to health information privacy, confidentiality and security on behalf of the National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics, and identifies issues and opportunities for investigation. The Subcommittee also makes recommendations to the full Committee and assists the Department in its administration of the privacy and security provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-191).
Specifically, the Subcommittee will:
- Identify developments, opportunities and issues in health information privacy, confidentiality and security for Committee attention.
- Through public hearings and other means, serve as a forum on health information privacy, confidentiality and security matters on behalf of the public, employers, the health industry, the privacy and security community, Standards Development Organizations, the research community, State and local government, and other stakeholders.
- Based upon public hearings, consultation and analysis, make recommendations to the full Committee and assist the Department in its administration of the privacy and security provisions of P.L. 104-191.
- Make recommendations to the full Committee on strategies to promote the development and adoption of sound health information privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and practices. These strategies may include new or updated policies, public information and education, as well as research and development.
- Provide recommendations to HHS on topical Departmental issues and collaborate with other governmental initiatives, such as those focused on expanding patient access to information and advancing the interoperability of health information.
- Monitor privacy, confidentiality and security legislation and the implementation of regulations.
- Assist the full Committee in the preparation of recommendations, testimony and reports to the Secretary and the Congress.
- Collaborate with other NCVHS subcommittees on matters of mutual interest and concern.