The Subcommittee on Standards monitors and makes recommendations to the Full Committee on health data standards, including implementation of the Administrative Simplification provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), Medicare Modernization and Improvement Act of 2006 (MMA), the Affordable Care Act and associated areas of focus such as interoperability.
Specifically, the Subcommittee will:
- Identify opportunities and issues in health data standards for full Committee attention.
- Provide outreach, liaison, and consultation with, and serve as a public forum on health information technology standards for, the following stakeholders:
- Health care industry
- Federal, state and local governments
- Standards development organizations
- Health information technology companies
- Public health
- Consumer groups
- Research community
- Make recommendations to the Full Committee related to:
- Electronic transactions
- Health terminologies and vocabularies
- Clinical documentation
- Security measures
- Identifiers for employers, health plans, health care providers and patients
- Operating Rules
- Make recommendations to the Full Committee on strategies to promote a continuing process of developing, coordinating, adopting, implementing and maintaining standards. These strategies may include public information and educational efforts as well as research and development efforts.
- Produce recommendations for the Full Committee’s annual report to Congress on HIPAA Administrative Simplification.
- Collaborate with the other NCVHS subcommittees on cross-cutting issues.
- Collaborate with other Federal Advisory Committees on cross-cutting issues as appropriate and when delegated by the Full Committee.